Sunday, July 5, 2015

Hiking the Great Smoky Mountains - Laurel Falls






This morning, our whole family had some down time so we decided to do some hiking. I wasn't sure how much Ladybug would enjoy the experience (she prefers the indoors), so we picked the Laurel Falls hike, a somewhat easy, very rewarding trail. She loved it, as did the rest of us, so next time I'll feel good about a longer, slightly more challenging trail.

Michael and I have hiked this trail before, years ago, but there were three things about it that I was not prepared for. One, there is litter on this beautiful trail, not a lot, but enough that it surprised me. Don't people read the signs, the ones indicating that litter kills bears? (Sorry I didn't get a photo of it, but I am providing the link. Just scroll to the bottom of the page where there is a picture of one of the bears that had to be euthanized.)

Second, there are a ton of people on this trail, as in hordes of people, almost like the lines at Dollywood. I can certainly understand why it is so popular. It's located in a high traffic area for one thing. It's an easy hike. And the scenery along the trail as well as the falls themselves are breathtaking. Of course, it would be even more beautiful if I could have it all to myself.

The top half of Laurel Falls


Third, people bring strollers and wheelchairs on the trail even though the National Park Service states that the trail is "not suitable for strollers or wheelchairs." I personally cannot imagine trying to push either one up the mountain on that trail, which is rough and has some steep drop offs. However, I do commend two early 20-something young men who pushed their elderly grandma all the way up to see the falls. They definitely earned their cowboy points. So, while the trail is not suitable for man or woman powered wheels, apparently it is possible.

Laurel Falls is about 80-feet high. The trailhead is located about 3.5 miles from Sugarlands Visitor Center on Little River Road in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment