Monday, May 4, 2015

Sagging RV Mattress Nagging for Nothing



Over the last few weeks, when the weather has cooperated we’ve been sleeping in the RV, which for the moment is still parked in the driveway. What we’ve discovered is that the center of our mattress sinks, so we both roll inwards and sleep on a steep incline. It’s definitely not the most comfortable way to spend a night, I tell ya.

I’ve been window shopping (from my browser window) for a new RV mattress, and I’ve been hesitating to purchase anything for two reasons: 1) I don’t really have the money right now to spend on a new mattress. 2) I’m afraid to purchase a mattress online without having first tried it out to make sure it will be comfortable.

Here is one that I have been considering, which is reasonably priced and sounds like it would be comfortable.

 


It’s probably a good thing that I’ve postponed investing in a new RV mattress because yesterday I made a discovery. Now, I’m no longer 100% certain that the mattress is the problem. 

Yesterday afternoon, I pulled the mattress completely off its platform because I wanted to see what was under the bed. I lifted up the platform and then pulled up the carpeted area underneath. I found out that I can access the engine right here and completely see daylight. Somehow, I thought there would be something more between the bed and the stinky engine beneath it. It feels a little unsafe, whether or not it actually is, like it could be a fire hazard. Yes, it’s been that way for twenty years, but it still just doesn’t seem right.

But that’s not the discovery I was referring to previously. What I discovered is that the wooden platform that holds the mattress sinks in the middle. It has some give to it. I’m wondering if it’s just worn out or if maybe one of my kids has been jumping on it. At any rate, it needs to be repaired. We’ll either need to install some supports underneath or put some sturdier plywood on top, or maybe we’ll need to do both.

When that’s done, then we’ll see if we can make do with our current mattress. 

No comments:

Post a Comment